gadget

gadget

Thursday, March 17

21 Kilometres and Type 1 Diabetes: An Introduction

Two of the most important parts of my life (running and diabetes) don't mesh together well.

I started running when I was 12--holy shit, have I actually been running for more than half my life?--and the diabetes came later, at 18, barely a week out of high school. As a teenager I ran recklessly: on a totally empty stomach, at nighttime alone, through woods, carrying nothing but keys. After my Type 1 diagnosis, I was forced to smarten up. No longer could I expect to train with a team or go all out at races; the risk of developing a low blood sugar was just too high. I conceded to bringing along a pack loaded with glucose tablets and testing equipment whenever I ventured out.

At 23 I switched over to an insulin pump. My endocrinologist and diabetes nurse assured me that it would be easier to exercise with a pump; I'd be "almost normal", they said. They forgot to mention that it would take my body almost 6 months to adjust to the device, or that I'd be fine-tuning my insulin levels through trial and error. The errors, it turned out, were plenty: since starting the pump, my blood sugar has bottomed out at least 10 times while running. Each time I thought I was close to dying. Running is not supposed to feel like death. One part of my life is not supposed to kill another part.

I've kept it up, though. I've increased my mileage and run on my own schedule and cut down on the excuses. I've attempted to train for at least three half marathons, and yet I haven't run a single one to date. This is where things change. Here, at 25, I'm finally going to force my diabetes and my running to get along.

Today I registered for the Half at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. October 16th it is. I'll be documenting my training here, with a focus on diabetes and health.

course map

It's true that a half-marathon isn't much. It's barely longer than my standard long runs, and this particular race is still seven months away. Sure, one day I'll be able to say "I have Type 1 diabetes and I just ran a full marathon", but for now this goal is big enough. I'm not training to finish; I'm not a contestant on The Biggest Loser, this isn't merely about fitness for me. I'm training to get a solid time (under 2:00:00), to validate all the years I've been pounding pavement, and to reconcile these two disparate parts of myself. 

I mean, how many serious diabetic runners are there? It's time to break some ground. 


1 comment:

  1. Love that you're blogging--and am looking forward to keeping up with your progress! So awesome.

    ReplyDelete