gadget

gadget

Wednesday, March 30

21km and Type 1: IBT Syndrome

So, after some online searching/freaking out this afternoon, my "brucked up knee" finally has an official name: iliotibial band syndrome. Even without a doctor's assessment, this is most definitely what I have. Here are some clues:


  • pain isn't present until halfway through a run, often during an incline (YES)
  • pain is only evident on the outside of the knee (YES)
  • pain may be caused by worn-out running shoes (I've been meaning to get to The Running Room for the past year...I've just been busy, you know?)
  • pain is capable of bringing runner to their knees (UM, YES)


So ITB is what I have. Most of the information I've read pegs recovery time between 4 and 6 weeks, if caught early and treated effectively-- although one site did encourage me, desperate web searcher that I am, to give up running forever. 


I'm hoping that's not my only option. I'll need to increase my stretching over the next few days, stockpile Motrin and ice packs, and, yes, probably buy some new shoes. I'm thinking a trip to a physiotherapist might be in order too, but I'll need to coax myself into that one: I'm a firm believer in fixing things myself. I'd fix this thing myself if I could. I'm starting to realize that I can't.

My progress at this half-marathon training is worse than stalled at the moment-- I'm going backward.

No comments:

Post a Comment