gadget

gadget

Tuesday, July 19

Ikea Kitchen Cart DIY

Truth: I've never wanted a Bekvam cart, that Ikea staple of a million undergrad kitchens.
It's a functional size and shape, but the untreated wood isn't very appealing. Last month, during a DIY drought--our apartment is running out of projects, how will I live?--I decided to give in, buy the Bekvam, lug the box home and start staining. Our existing kitchen "cart" needed to eat it, after all:

cart before

I mean, look at that thing. Purchased on sale at Canadian Tire in 2008 for $10. It could barely even stand up straight.  

Staining and painting are hard tasks when you live in a cramped apartment, so I opted to get the job done outside on our (equally cramped) front porch. Let's just say, I spent a lot of time yelling at wind.

After:
cart after


butcher block
(Please ignore the disgusting switch plate. This ain't my house, so I ain't DIY-ing that thing.)

It looks like a million bucks--or like $249.00, which is the price of Ikea's similar Stenstorp cart. 
I'm currently living cheaper than Ikea. I didn't think it could be done. 

Also!
nancy drew

A gift from Devan's mom, or, a book salvaged from a basement in London, ON. Yes, those are goblets of milk on the front cover. 

captive biscuits

I may have to start a series of blog posts testing out these recipes. Nay, will. 

3 comments:

  1. That kitchen cart is absolutely gorgeous! Best DIY i've seen you do yet. Other interesting fact: I have that Nancy Drew Cookbook! It was gifted to me with a bunch of hardcover Nancy Drew originals when I was a middle-schooler. I recommend the shrimp curry recipe.
    ~Karas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just bought that kitchen cart...unhappily...my husband to be convinced me not to spend more but I know that we need one...so I went to the store and lugged it out. Now we are putting it together and want to give it a little extra life, I was wondering what you did to the top, did you just stain and poly it? Or did you use something food grade to use it as a chopping board as well?

    ReplyDelete