gadget

gadget

Tuesday, August 30

Bits and Bobs, Watches and Water

I hate carrying things when I run. In the good old days, I used to head out on runs with almost nothing; sometimes not even my keys, banking instead on the goodwill of my roommates not to lock me out (this rarely worked out the way I hoped). Runners aren't supposed to need the extra bits and bobs, right?

But I caved and started toting a wristlet, stuffed with glucose tablets lest I go low. When it became clear that I needed my blood sugar meter for longer runs, I tried stuffing it inside my wristlet as well. My wristlet is now dead: yellowed from sweat, punctured by lancets, ripped in two places.

So I caved and bought a SpiBelt. It makes me sad just to look at the thing, but I can see the value of carrying it on runs longer than 10km. Once my training ramped up, I realized that carrying my supplies wasn't enough; I needed to start measuring my pace, assessing my times, if I wanted to get faster.

So I caved and picked up a cheapo watch, because I'm not in any position to afford a Garmin (Christmas, mom?). The thing scratches up my arm but it does the trick. So now I'm carrying both a fanny pack and a watch, but it still feels like I'm missing something--especially since my runs are only going to get longer.

So I caved and bought a handheld water bottle. I hate this! It's terrible! But here we are. Runners, especially those with type 1 diabetes, can't afford to go "free" for hours at a time. I used to love the freedom of disconnecting from my pump for a short run, leaving it all behind. As my kilometers keep stacking up, though, the risks of going without gear far outweigh the bliss of feeling free.

I'd like to think that hydration is only an issue during the summer, but that's not the case. In the fall I'm planning some of my longest runs--20km +--and I'd be insane not to drink water before, during, and after those. So, handheld water bottle, I concede to you.

Now somebody just needs to get that information across to this bimbo: http://runningmagazine.ca/2011/08/sections/training/blogs/water-belt-or-fanny-pack-whats-cuter/
I'm still amazed that this girl was able to finagle a "style" running blog on such a respected site. (If you'd prefer to post a blog about running and disease, CR, I'm your girl!) She has decided not to wear a fuel belt or carry a water bottle because "honouring [her] body [is] the most important thing". Well, have fun with that. I've decided to honour my body by strapping three heavy, separate things onto it--because not dying is way more stylish than dying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment