gadget

gadget

Thursday, April 19

On Losing the Marathon

I lost the marathon today: I registered for the half instead. I gave it up, more like. Thanks for the fitness and improved pace, marathon training. We were good for a while there. But I was pushing you way too much, I know. We gotta take this easier.

If I had kept up with my training schedule after Around the Bay, I might have still been able to finish the full marathon on May 6. But then I took a few days off. And then I burned out, a little. And then I saw a 20 miler on my training calendar and just said no. I ran Harry's Spring Run Off (8k) on April 7 in 38:45, a pretty fast for me 4:50 per km pace, and knew there was no way I'd be content with "just finishing" the marathon.

Let's be honest. I crammed a lot of training into this winter/spring not to finish a marathon only, but to finish a marathon in a decent time. Diabetes is my beast and running this marathon looked like a good way to beat it, but would I be happy with a 4 hour plus finish time? Of course not. I'd beat myself up. All that training would be for nothing. Deep down, I know I have a 3:55 or even 3:50 first marathon in me. I need to work for just a little bit longer to get it out.

So I'm running the half in Mississauga on May 6--what up Hazel--and then throwing myself right back into a summer of training. I need to be stronger, more consistent. I need a few 22 milers (or more?) in the tank before I race the full, because I have no clue how my blood sugar will hold up in foreign miles.

October it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment