gadget

gadget

Thursday, January 17

Hunting For: Cathrineholm for a Song

Scandinavian mid century design doesn't get more iconic than the lotus pattern enamel Cathrineholm pieces. I'm sure you've seen their bowls or platters or fondue pots somewhere--ever since Rachel Ray got her EVOO streaked paws all over them (she used a lookalike bowl on her show 30 Minute Meals), they've transformed into mid century for the masses.

Source

That doesn't mean they're easy to find in Toronto, though. I've said it before and I'll say it again: TO's antique prices are off the chain. Ripped right off the chain. The smallest of teak pieces at antique stores are never under $200, Craigslist ads easily demand $500 for a 'retro looking' chair somebody else farted on, and I've even seen garage sales asking upwards of $1500 for a 1960's couch with cat scratches. There's no fun in that. And, trapped in my entry level job, there's no money for that.

I've never seen any lotus pattern Cathrineholm pieces for sale in this city. I've seen them in antique store windows, defiantly not for sale, but I've never spotted some at my usual haunts. In the summer, that means street sales and church bazaars and flea markets. The deals always migrate outside. In the winter, I hole up in thrift stores, desperate to find a treasure, but rarely do. I spend full days at "thrift corner" (Dixie and Dundas in Mississauga) where four thrift stores converge into one beautiful little shopping mecca, and still find nothing special. (Note: never go to thrift corner. Forget I told you about it. It's MINE.)

I still have dreams about finding that elusive piece of Cathrineholm, though. I don't want to pay through the nose for an avocado green lotus lasagna pan on eBay. Again, that's not the point. I want to roam through a stinking Goodwill and find an avocado green lotus lasagna pan hidden among the old Tupperware and chipped comic strip Cathy mugs (Ack!!). In a perfect world, I find two pieces: one to keep and one to sell. But for now I'll just keep looking.

From nopatternrequired.com

No comments:

Post a Comment