gadget

gadget

Wednesday, April 13

21km and Type 1: Extended Pause

So my IT band pain has not subsided. I have done lots to correct the problem--lots for me, which includes anything beyond trying to ignore its existence--and yet, the pain still nags. Two physiotherapy sessions brought me some stretches, some ultrasound, and some relief, but I still can't run more than 4km without feeling that familiar twinge along the outside of my knee.

As most runners know, this is heartbreaking. I was forced to stop halfway through my run on Monday afternoon and walked home, sobbing the whole way. Losing my shit probably isn't the best way to handle this problem, but my emotions can't be controlled at this point. Runner's Limbo sucks.

I'd planned on running the 15km Bread and Honey in Streetsville on June 4th, and maybe I can still get there(!), but this needs to be my reality for the time being:



Thanks for this, strange mumbly guy on YouTube. I've been pulling out his diy stretch everywhere: while watching tv, in the kitchen, at work watching to make sure no coworkers are walking by. I've tried to be sneaky but it doesn't even matter; I look ridiculous and it hurts like hell. I'm also going to give in and buy a foam roller tonight  for massaging my leg (sidenote: "giving in" costs approximately $30).

I'm hopeful, but I'm still emotional. The only thing this hiccup has taught me is that I can no longer afford to be lax about anything when it comes to my running. My focus over the past two years has been maintaining blood sugar control when I run; form, speed, and stretching all fell by the wayside. This is my wake-up call. This is up to me now: do I want to be a diabetic who runs or a diabetic runner? It's gotta be the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment